Monday 15 June 2020

Shopping/wish list for the 1520s gown

I'm working really slow right now. I always have trouble really finishing something, because as I near the end I'm worried that I will screw it all up and destroy all the work I've done and end up with something I'm not satisfied with. A thing that gets me motiated to finish though is that I want to go on to the next part of the project.

And the next part of the project is to make a new wulsthaube, so that I can make a new hood that I can embroider. I also want to decorate one of my belts with a lot of mounts, and then comes the cape. I also need a new shift, but I will push that one back to last.

I will need to buy quite a lot of hardware, and even if every individual item isn't too expensive in the end it all ads up, so this is a post where I try to just make a wish list so that I can plan my budget. This is definitely a wishlist, and I will probably have to cut down on it.

For the goldwork hood I will order my supplies from Golden-Hinde.UK, but there are a few things I need from other places. On the hood that I'm using as inspiration there are a lot of stones in settings. They look very much like these


Trulyhats.Net is an American site though, and with the current state of the world I'm not sure that I can trust that they would come here within a decent time.


Gothic-Cast has these buttons, dated to 1400-1500 in their inventory. They are more rounded that then other option, but on the other hand the stones are made from enamel and are not faceted which is more correct than the first choice. A bonus is also that these buttons are made from a Swedish find, so they would definitely be correct for my Swedish court gown. They are available with red, dark blue and green stones and with a gilded or silver finish. They cost around €4 each with a gilded finish, and I need a bunch of them, so probably around 500 SEK just for the buttons.

Gothic-Cast also has these other things I would like

A pendant for 1470-1520 €45
A molten chain 14th-17th century around €50
A clasp to close the cape 1400-1500, €22.50
Already there I'm into quite a lot of money and that is before I have started to look at mounts to decorate the belt. Still it's fun drooling over all the beautiful jewellery.

No comments:

Post a Comment