Saturday 12 September 2020

A smaller German renaissance hood (wulsthaube)

 Back in the summer I did my monster of wulsthaube but already the day after I decided that I needed a smaller and lighter one. Now I finally write together the post about that smaller, but more comfortable hood.


I started out with a piece of cane again, but not a full circle this time,


I wrapped the cane in poly batting. For a more accurate version I would use cotton batting, but I only had poly batting at home.


I finished by encasing the cane and batting in a piece of linen. It's not wrapped, it's more of a casing.

To mae the cane keep a more rounded shape I added a piece of cotton tape at the bottom.

The rest of the wulsthaube was made in the same way as the larger one, from a rectangular piece of linen that was folded over the wulst and pleated in the back. I'm not too careful about getting it totally symmetrical since it's never going to be visible anyway.

This is the hood turned inside out to show what it looks like on the inside.


From the front, but it has sunk down on my headblock, it doesn't go that far down in the face when I wear it.


And this is what it looks like from the side.

I wore this smaller and lighter cap for our July feast with the guild.


Even if it's my smallest wulsthaube it definitely gives quite a big bulge over the head, so after having seen the photos from that I decided that this would be the wulsthaube that I would use for the cap with gold embroidery that I'm going to do for the 1520's court gown project.



No comments:

Post a Comment