Tuesday 23 February 2021

Starting a jedi undertunic

 Tonight I started on my undertunic. I only started because I realized that I didn't have any matching thread, I apparently have never sewn in brown before. I couldn't do any seams that would be visible, but it was enough to at least get me started and trying out a few ideas.

Now there are loads of tutorials out there for making your own jedi tunic. The Rebel Legion has a full forum of jedi tutorials with several of them containing patterns for jedi tunics. Jedi tunic is pretty basic, but I decided to go my own way of making it. I started with the undertunic, to see if my ideas would work.

There are a lot of undertunic options. You can make a complete tunic, or just a false upper part that is just visible at the neck opening. It can be sleeveless, but it is also popular to have long scrunchy sleeves. The more I was thinking about the more I wanted to make a false undertunic. Instead of having to deal with fastenings where the front pieces cross over I wanted a tunic that I could simply pull over my head. I have seen undertunics made out of knit fabrics, and in afterthought that would probably have been the best. But now I had my linen/viscose blend to work with.

I decided to use my Lena faux wrap dress from Simply Sew. I have made three dresses from this pattern, and I have liked the result everytime. I have also cut it out a bit too big, for my last dress I took it in quite a bit, this I figured would actually be a good thing since I am working in non-stretch fabric unlike the dresses that I have made from it. For the undertunic I like that it is already a bit of a crop top, since it's supposed to have a sewn in belt. So I cut out the front and back bodice pieces and sewed them together. I skipped the shaping darts though, since this is supposed to be a loose garment.


I pinned the fronts together as high up as possible. I could still pull the whole bodice over my head, so I can sew it shut instead of having to work with any kind of closure. I want the neckline to be smaller, but the collar will add a few cm and that should be enough. 

Now I just need to buy brown thread, make the collar and sleeves and I have the first part of my jedi librarian done.


No comments:

Post a Comment