Wednesday 6 January 2016

Planning ahead for 2016

So with all the looking back on 2015 posts done it's time to lock ahead to 2016 and what I'm planning to do.

The main costume event that I'm planning for, and might have a deadline for, is Star Wars Celebration in London in July. For that I would like to have an easy to pack and comfortable costume and my goal is to have finished an X-wing pilot costume until then. I picked up a helmet and chestbox in Anaheim last year so I have started to get stuff together for the costume. Most of the costume will be bought, I guess that's why I don't really feel a lot of inspiration, it feels so simple just being able to order things and then wait for delivery. Still the shopping list for the costume is fairly long, so I need to spread out the expenses over a few months.

Other Star Wars costumes I might do...I need to decide if I want to make a proper General Leia from TFA, or if I want to make the blue dress from TFA. This might have to do be decided by trooping opportunities ahead. There is also the Star Wars Rogue One film coming in December, but so far I haven't seen any photos that make me want to make a costume from it, but you never know.

For historical costumes I'm starting to feel that I'm getting the 18th century wardrobe that I want to have. I am still missing a pair of pocket hoops and a pet en l'air or robe à la francaise. I have the fabric for the pet already, and if I first make a pet I can then use my experiences to make a francaise later on.

Over the last few months I've started to seriously think about making an early 16th century German gown. I've loved this fashion for a long time, and I think the velvet that I dyed, but wasn't happy with the colour, for the gold handmaiden would be perfect for a Cranach gown. I need to see how much velvet there is, but I'm hoping it will be enough for a gown. There is a big medieval fair at the end of May in Leksand, so I'm thinking that would be a good deadline for that project.

And then there are the Historical Sew Monthly challenges for 2016,
  • January –  Procrastination  finish a garment you have been putting off finishing (a UFO or PHD) or make something you have been avoiding starting
I have some linen in the stash, and I really need at least one new 18th century chemise, but I've put off doing it since, well the ones I have make do, and it's boring to make chemises. So a chemise it is.
  • February – Tucks & Pleating – make a garment that features tucks and pleating for the shape or decoration
To start the 16th century gown I need a shift, and I want to make a smocked shift, meaning that I need to learn how to smock.
  • March – Protection – make something to protect yourself (from weather or injury) or your clothes (from soiling etc.)
No idea, but maybe an apron or a pair of mittens?
  • April – Gender-Bender – make an item for the opposite gender, or make an item with elements inspired by the fashions of the opposite gender
No idea here either.
  • May – Holes – sometimes the spaces between stuff are what makes a garment special.  Make a garment that is about holes, whether it is lace, slashing, eyelets, etc.
I want to finish the 16th century gown here, and go all in for slashed sleeves.
  • June – Travel – make a garment for travelling, or inspired by travel.
I'm thinking that maybe learn how to make a pair of gloves would fit with this.
  • July – Monochrome – make a garment in black, white, or any shade of grey in between.
No idea.
  • August – Pattern – make something in pattern, the bolder and wilder the better.
The fabric that I have for the pet en l'air is patterned, but it's not exactly bold or wild.
  • September – Historicism – Make a historical garment that was itself inspired by the fashions of another historical period.
No set plans.
  • October – Heroes – Make a garment inspired by your historical hero, or your historical costuming hero.
I would like to do a headwear for the 16th century gown for this, since I'm drawing inspiration for the whole project from an actual historical person.
  • November – Red – Make something in any shade of red.
Red is not my colour, I don't have anything red in my stash so I will need to buy some fabric for it.
  • December – Special Occasion: make something for a special event or a specific occasion, or that would have been worn to special event of specific occasion historically.
No idea

So by seeing this list it's pretty clear that I don't have much inspiration for the challenges this year, it was easier last year. I'm very happy that I did the full set of challenges in 2015, but I think in 2016 I won't stress about meeting them. I'm hoping to do as many as possible though, and I like how I've used the challenges to create smaller things and accessories and finishing touches. Those don't need to be planned far in advance either.

So to summarize here is my planned costume list of the year:

Star Wars
X-wing pilot
TFA Leia

16th century
16th century gown including underwear

18th century
chemise
pocket hoops
pet en l'air

No comments:

Post a Comment