Monday 1 January 2018

2018 Costume plans

Happy New Year!

It is time for me to reveal my costume plans for 2018. Well if I learnt one thing last year is that I shouldn't make too many plans, and that I really want to dive into some big projects this year. I've also decided that I want to make projects where I can either use my own hair, so redheaded cosplays, or cover it entirely.

These are the projects that I have set plans for, as of now.

1520's outfit (historical)

I'm so hooked on the 16th century, and not just the costumes. I am an archaeologist/historian, working in a museum so history is my first great love, and the late 15th and early 16th century is my favorite time period. Since the summer I have returned to it, and discovered that there are quite a few new books that I haven't read, and I'm making up for that at the moment. I would guess that the renewed interest in the time period from historians comes from us approaching the 500th anniversary of the bloodbath of Stockholm, Gustav Vasa's adventures in Dalarna, and the so called liberation war in 1520-1521.

I've decided that my first major project of the year will be to create an outfit that would be suitable for a woman in a master miner's family. That means an outfit for a person in the lower upper class, someone that would have contacts with the main fashion around the Baltic sea, but also needing to be able to do some practical work.

I'm thinking something along what these women are wearing

From De Re Metallica by Agricola
or this statue by S:t Barbara
The consists of two main parts
1. I want to make a new shift, I have a lownecked one and now I want to make highnecked one
2. Make a wool gown.

I want to have the project finished for the Medieval fair in Leksand 24-25th of May.

2. Admiral Daala (Star Wars)

Admiral Daala is a character from the old Star Wars books and series back in the 1990's, even if she made a comeback in the last book series before Disney bought Star Wars and scrapped the old Star Wars canon. She is not a particularly great character, but she is a redhead and she wears this jumpsuit which looks really comfortable to run around in at conventions.  I want to have the costume finished for NärCon last weekend of July.

3. Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Ok, I know I said that I only wanted to make costumes where I didn't need to work with wigs, but this will be an exception. I made my quick Luna Lovegood in October, but I really want to upgrade it to a more accurate version. I have bought new shoes already so what I need is a better shirt, a wig, a new wand (since I broke mine) and a Hogwarts robe. This costume won't involve much crafting, more just saving up and buying the stuff I need for it. It would be fun to have it finished for some time next autumn, probably AvestaCon.


4. Melisandre's travelling outfit (Game of Thrones)

When your new hairdresser's first comment after dyeing your hair is "you look like that red woman in Game of Thrones", well I could only give her right. I love that red hair.

I'm doing the travelling cloak, since then her hair just disappears under the cowl and I don't need to use hair extensions. This is a seriously complicated costume though. The underdress is probably a wrap dress in shot silk, the cloak itself consists of at least two parts. The main part is made up from rows and rows of grosgrain ribbons sewn together and over that you have the cowl/shawl that is in a very specially textured fabric. All the materials also need to be dyed to match each other perfectly. 

Still my goal is to start this one in the spring and have it done for Comic Con Stockholm in the autumn.

5 Resistance girl from 'Allo 'Allo
Cosplay Dalarna is thinking about doing a group project, but since we couldn't agree on a theme we made it very broad and decided on retro TV, basically anything that was aired before 1989. I want to make a costume that's simple but still recognizable. I love the TV series 'Allo 'Allo, and all the women of the resistance dress the same.

This is Michelle of the Resistance, but since I don't want to wear a wig I'll just be a background redhead. They were a beige macintosh, black beret, silk scarf, black flat shoes and white socks. I just need to find a cheap macintosh and then I'm mostly set.

So there are my plans, hopefully I will finish more of my plans than I did in 2017, but who knows what else I might come up with during the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment