Tuesday 2 July 2019

Obelix - the quest for a red moustache

One thing I'm lacking and that I will need to fake for y Obelix costume is facial hair. This is actually the part of the costume that I'm not looking forward to wearing. I simply will have to wear some kind of fake moustache. It turned out that it wasn't easy finding a moustache in red, especially not a red that mimics my own current hair colour.

I ordered a bunch of different cheap moustaches from the party shop Partykungen.se, none of them looked realistic or in the right colour. Thankfully Obelix is a comic figure, so I don't have to worry too much about the realism factor, but I still want it to look good and not just slap some orange fuzz on my face.

In the end I decided to go with the blonde moustache and try to dye it red.

Since it's a matter of a limited amount of hair I simply used sharpies to colour the moustache, the important thing is that the inc is alcohol based. You can see in the picture above where I did a first test.


I started with a sharpie in "poppy" colour. I really like this colour and think it would work great for a version of the comic style Obelix. My own hair has a lot more purple tones in it though, so to make it look more like my hair colour I had to paint it again.


This time I used a sharpie in "magenta" and this is really close to my current hair colour.

Now I can only cross my fingers that I will be able to make the moustache stick to m face when it's a warm summer's day, I've never worked with facial hair before. I have bought proper moustache and hair glue though.

No comments:

Post a Comment