Sunday 24 May 2020

1520's courtgown - starting the sleeves

I have started the sleeves of the court gown. It's going a bit slower now, in a way I always slow down when I'm getting closer to actually putting the garment together. I'm simply afraid that I will screw it up.

I want to make a a sleeve that was split at the elbow, like this yellow dress by Lucas Cranach

A HD version of this painting is avaiable at the digital Cranach archive - http://lucascranach.org/DE_SKD_GG1906BB
For the pattern I used my standard S-sleeve pattern, that I now can't find the link for but I made it sometime in 2018. I simply cut it off at the elbow to create an upper and a lower sleeve. 


So far I have made the upper sleeve by first tacking the velvet to the linen lining and then sew it together. I felled the sleeve and hemmed the bottom. The hem at the botto is folded double, because I want it to be sturdy when it's time to add the lacing holes. I am definitely worried about the lacing holes. The HD image of the painting shows a very neat lacing hole, and I can do functional lacing holes but they rarely get totally nice and even. 

No comments:

Post a Comment