Sunday 19 May 2024

Moulin Rouge dress along

 Some times it's so fun to just dress up. A month or so ago I saw an ad on Facebook about Moulin Rouge dress along, basically watch the film and do it dressed up. I just had to go, and remember how obsessed I was with this film as a student. Back in 2005 I sewed my first corset because I wanted to recreate Nini Legs-in-the-air's iconic red windmill gown.

It was made in cheap fabrics and I ill-fitting, I simply wasn't a very skilled seamstress back then. I think I have the petticoat still somewhere in a stash, but the rest of the gown went fairly early into the trash. Looking at it now I think the ruffle and the top trim looks good, but not the rest.

Anyway, for the dress along I went up to the attic to see what I could dig out. In my costume history I also have my cancan trooper outfit.
I knew that parts of it were ruined, the outer skirt has been thrown away and the corset had bones poking out from it. I was surprised that so many elements were there for it though. Still in order for the whole outfit to be wearable I would need to do some repair and remakes, and I didn't have the time for that, I also wanted to take inspiration from the film and go as a general cancan dancer. In the end I used the petticoat from the cancan trooper and a black corset from a ballgown from way back as well. 

At this point I should say that I was almost crying with happiness that I could fit in these pieces again, which is of course thanks to the gastric bypass I did in the autumn. My weight loss hasn't been the most dramatic, but I am back in a size where I can wear my costumes again, and I can feel beautiful.

Anyway since the petticoat and corset was black I went with a black and white theme by adding a white shirt from my husband, black bowtie and a top hat from my mother. To get some colour pops I used my 18th century red shoes and added a red fake flower to the top hat.

It was bright and sunny when me and my husband went to the event, and we made quite a striking silhouette.
Red shoes to break off the black and white theme

I had made a bunch of fingercurls in my hair and swooped it up into a ponytail in the back
The whole outfit
My husband was very handsome and stylish in his white tie with a borrowed top had and a gorgeous embroiedred vest that he had in his wardrobe.

The event itself was really fun. It was held at Bio Capitol - bistro and bar, which combines a 1926 cinema with a restaurant and bar. So the bar opened an hour before the film started.

The event was hosted by Miss Diamond burlesqe, and there were burlesqe performers mingling with the crowds.
The cocktail of the night was absinthe-based, but of course a modern absinthe and not the crazy stuff of 1900s Paris. It was green, nice and good.

During the film there were live performances by Miss Diamond and her crew during some of the songs.

Most of the other guests wore attire more suitable for burlesque and the roaring 20s parties, but there were two green fairies from the film there.

All in all it was a great night and I am definitely going to be on the lookout for more events at Bio Capitol in the future. And I am definitely contemplating if I shouldn't make another try of Nini's windmill dress, but now of course I am a better seamstress but I also see all the details and how complicated it really is.




No comments:

Post a Comment