Thursday 25 July 2024

HSM challenge November - worn by all: a pair of short hose

  I have finished the hose and doublet for my husband's landsknecht outfit, but since we are right now at my in-laws and I didn't have enough points and/or ribbons to be able to close all of the closures and connections a final post will have to wait until we are back home. From the last remnants of fabric I did manage to squeeze out a pair of short hose for him as well.

Short hose are basically long socks when it comes to the 16th century. Women had worn these kinds of hose earlier, but up until then the men had had long hose. There is definitely a theory that by the 16th century, when the men had storted to wear joined hose it was more simple for movement to cut them off at the knee and wear separate hose and socks. 

For inspiration I used this instruction from Rowantree workshop. I would say it was inspiration since I am at my in-laws and didn't have scrap fabric to produce a good pattern before cutting the wool, and also several years ago I made a pair of hose for myself and used a whole sole, instead of having a seam at the instep like in the instruction.

Not being able to make a proper pattern first involved a lot of teeth-grinding and frustration in trying to make something at least fairly fitting. I also didn't have enough fabric to make a pair of the same fabric so had to do one of each, which is of course is good for a landsknecht but maybe not for the middle class or lower upper class that I personally aim for.

The red hose is better than the pink one, and with that one I started with sewing the sole on and fitting that one before closing the back seam, with the pink one I started with the back seam and it made for some strange fitting around the foot. Instead of the triangular gusset in the instruction I had to take in a dart on one of the sides of the foot. The hose will need some kind of garters to stay in place, but at least they are finished. He can also wear the in his normal shoes, I was worried that they would be so bulky that he his normal shoes would be too small, which is good to know when it's time to buy him proper historical shoes.

What the item is: a pair of short hose
How it fits the challenge: Short hose were worn by both men and women of all classes in the 16th century
Material:  around 1 m of wool twill
Pattern: inspired by Rowantree workshop. but with a lot of draping and pinning done during construction
Year: 16th century
Notions: line thread
How historically accurate is it? Around 90%, if we assume that even in historical times not everyone wore well-fitting garments
Hours to complete: 8
First worn: My husband is breaking the in while doing gardening at his parent's place right now
Total cost: $50




No comments:

Post a Comment