Wednesday 23 March 2016

A possible Edwardian costume for May

This year I'm going to take part in the 1900 event at the nationl railway museum again. Now I do have my shirtwais from last year and one or two skirts to wear, so I don't really need to make anything new. I still want to make something though. I've had a lot of fun over the last few days to look at Edwardian sportswear so I have decided to try and make a biking outft from around 1890.


Ideally the outfit would consist of jacket, vest, bloomers, gaiters and a hat, but I'm thinking that I will do just as much as I have time for. I will start with the bloomers, then gaiters and if I have time a vest or a jacket. I'm very doubtful about the last two though, so I will focus on the bloomers and the gaiters. For a hat I'm thinking about just decorating my small 18th century bergère.

My plan for the bloomers was to use a veyr old pattern for a pair of drawers that I have used many, many years ago. I can't find it in my pattern stack though, and I've actually worn out the drawers so I can't cut them up and use them as a pattern either. I didn't feel like starting from scratch though, so I have actually ordered Laughing Moon's bicycle outfit.


With that pattern I get both bloomers and gaiters, and a jacket as a bonus. I'm hoping that the pattern won't take too long to arrive. In the meantime I need to decide what kind of fabric I should use. My stash has started to overflow a bit, so I went to in to it to look for something suitable and I've ended up with 2,5 alternatives, funny enough they actually match so I could use them together.


The fabric to the left was the big surprise, I have no memory of buying it. It's a fairly thick cotton sateen. I have probably bought it for the shiny side, but I actually like the duller back of the fabric and for a sporting outfit that might be more suitable. The other fabric is a purple pinstripe fabric that I picked up in a op shop also a long time ago, I don't know what the fibre content is. I'm leaning towards using the pinstripe, but I don't think that would look good for the gaiters. I'm also thinking that it would be good to find a stiffer fabric for them.




No comments:

Post a Comment