Tuesday 1 May 2018

Admiral Daala belt

For the belt I had to use two strips of leather to make it long enough. I butted the end togethers using waxed linen thread.

The shape is a spiral, going two rounds around the body, but all the ends connect at the same place.




AFter I had a strip that was long enough I used paper bag clips to make the round centers. This would have been so much easier if I hadn't lost my awl and had to do the holes for the clips with a seam ripper and a small pointy (but not sharp) metal stick that I found.

Then I measured out where I wanted the vertical bars to be and cut them out of worbla.
I heated the worbla strips and wrapped them towards the back, so I didn't have to use any glue. I used four layers of watered down wood glue to smoot down the surface of the worbla.

Then I covered all the leater in masking tape and used gold spray paint to paint the buttons and the worbla. Even if the paper bag clips are gold, I wanted them to have the same shine as the vertical strip so I painted them as well.

Right side of the belt


Wrong side of the belt. I haven't decided if I'm going to glue the back ends of the paper bag clips or not.

The seam where I butted the strips together is hidden under one of the strips of worbla.

No comments:

Post a Comment