Tuesday 4 September 2018

Jane Austen Garden party at Hildasholm, Leksand

Last weekend it was the end of season celebrations at Hildasholm in Leksand. Hildasholm is a stately cottage that is well worth a visit for the beautiful gardens and interiors from the early 20th century, a lot of arts and crafts and romanticism.. It was a small summer house for the insanely rich Hilda Munthe, so when she wasn't in one of her bigger houses in England or Italy she stayed in Leksand.

They had chosen to call the day a Garden party à la Jane Austen, and I took my mother and new late 1790's outfit and went there.

To be honest I didn't notice a lot of Jane Austen, but it was a nice market day, and if you were in historical dress you got a guided tour in the house for free. I happen to know the head guide there, and since he knows my interest in historical clothing he pointed out a few extra things. The most exciting thing was that in the big doll house there is a miniature Fortuny gown for a doll, modelled after one of the two Fortuny gowns that Hilda Munthe owned. Unfortunately those dresses are in her home in England and not in Leksand though.

I wore my new roundgown. It was really comfortable, but a bit too long even with my Kensington shoes so I will need to shorten it a few cm. Under it I wore my late 18th century stays, small bumpad and petticoats. I had borrwed a bonnet from Linnea, and added the chemisette and a new redicule as accessories. I had not had time to starch the collar of the chemisette, but it worked fine anyway. I was happy when I found a portrait of Hilda's great grandmother, and she was also wearing a soft and unstarched chemisette in the early 19th century.


The gown was really comfortable, but I will need to fasten it with some pins to keep it from sliding down, the belt was not enough to keep both of the gown in position.

As I said my mother also wanted to come, and be dressed up. My mother has a lot of physical disabilites, including the spine and hips, so she can't wear a corset. She also would need to be able to wear a pair of walking shoes instead of something more historical. That made it a bit problematic, since she's taller than me and all my 18th century skirts are on the short side to begin with. In the end she could wear my gaulle, and for headwear we wrapped a big scarf around her head as a turban.

So yes my mother was a lot more daring in her fashion choice, compared to my prim and proper dress.

I did meet up with some other people in costume, and I've been invited to their chat group, so it's quite likely that there will be more regency themed events happpening in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment