Tuesday 2 April 2019

Enfys Nest chestbox

I only have a few evenings left until I need to pack and start my journey to Star Wars Celebration, I'm really into the con crunch to get Enfys into a wearable state. That means that I don't really have time to update. I try to take photos of my work, and hopefully when it's all done I can go back and I have enough photos to be able to post what I've done.

Today I managed one thing that's a big thing for me, I got a working light into the chestbox! Now to say that I did it is a bit of hyperbole. I paid for the things and I did what a friend told me to do. All kind of electronics is a big scary mystery for me. I have never grown up learning how to work with electronics and it wasn't something we learnt in school. I remember some lessons learning about electronic diagrams, but they never actually showed us how to solder a wire to make connections.

Still I thought that I should be able to install a tiny little light in the chestbox. I tried to read up on what I needed to buy and make. I went and bought the light, a battery pack and a battery pack connector. Today was Tuesday and the weekly cosplay meet, and I was going to borrow a soldering tool. I arrived and soon all the other people realized that I had bought way too complicated stuff to just get a little red little light. In the Cosplay Dalarna group we help each other though. Mattias, who is more into electronics than making costumes, went with me to the store where you can buy supplies. We changed the stuff that I had bought for simpler things and went back. I paid while Mattias did all the talking about what we needed.

Then it was time to connect everything together.
 Mattias had a bit of soldering school for me, and simply told me what I should connect. I then managed to wreck the "on-off" switch by heating it up to much. So Mattias had to fix it.

In the end I got a working light though, with lightswitch and all, and I did at least help out with getting it to work. It is not something I would have been able to do by myself tough. I also now have 24 more lights, since the smallest pack that you buy was a 25-pack. So maybe I need to learn how to install them by myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment