Saturday 23 March 2019

Enfys Nest belt

The belt for Enfys Nest was a lot easier than the shoes. I decided to do it from a scrap piece of white faux leather that I already had, rather than buying new real leather. I think the faux leather is from when I made my classic ANH Leia. I had to be a bit careful, since I don't have a lot of faux leather and it will be used for the chest box assembly as well.


This is the belt in its unweathered state. I had to piece two straps together, both for the main piece and for the thinner middle strap. The joints are hidden under two of the smaller squares. The squares are good since they help stabilize the whole belt. A downside with fake leather is of course that it's a lot thinner and flimsier than proper leather, on the other hand it's a lot easier to sew it on a sewing machine. I had thought about adding a backing layer, but I felt that the belt is probably sturdy enough without the backing, but it won't be able to hold any weights.

The greeblies are 3d printed by friends from the files made by bh1138 and available on Thingiverse. They are clued on with contact glue, but I am thinking about maybe securing the connector beads with some invisible thread as well.

The belt closes with velcro, the stitching for securing the velcro pieces is hidden under the thinner strap.


For the weathering I used acrylic paints in pastel brown and ivory black. I added some paints and then quickly remove them with a paper towel, that also removes all the brush strokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment