Friday 10 July 2020

On my head at HIldasholm

For my visit at Hildasholm I needed to do my hair, and find a hat. I did some very quick solutions, that I was actually really happy with.


The hat is a regular sun hat from H&M. I bought it two or three years ago, and I use it regularly during summer. In order to pimp it for the early 20th century I added some trim though. The band around the crown and the bow are made from cheap poly satin. I made a tube and turned it inside out for the band, and then I pressed it. The bow is made from two rectangular pieces, one larger than the other one, and then I put another smal tube of the same fabric around it in the middle to create a bow shape. The bow wasn't pressed, since I didn't want it to loose it's quite fluffy appearane. I also found a plume of ostrich feather, that I didn't know that I had. It's made from two feathers sewn together to create volume.


Everything was just tacked on the hat with regular sewing thread.I didn't do it too well, since I want to continue to use the hat for more regular wear.

Under the hat I also needed to make something about my hair of course.

The hairstyles of the later 1910s had lost the big pouf and rolls of hair from the earlier Edwardian era. It was still an updo though, not a short cut style.



The evening before I washed my hair. I pinned the front part into smaller pin curls and the rest of the hair on large foam rollers, and then I slept on it. The rollers created quite a lot of volume, that I rolled into a bun in the back. I basically parted the back hair in three parts, the middle part was bigger and made up the most of the bnn, the side parts were twisted and pinned into the larger bun, and also hid the hairpins that kept the larger bun in place. The pin curls in front were drawn and pinned into place, on one side I was quite happy with the waves they created, but the other side didnt get that much of definition to the waves. Still it was a very simple and fairly quick hairstyle, if you exclude the time the hair was on rollers.

No comments:

Post a Comment