Thursday 6 August 2020

What I need before events start again

This summer all the big events have been cancelled but my trips up to the viking camp has been good to figure out what I need in my gear to be comfortable. I will not talk about tents here, it's on my list but I will be able to go without them, that's also a much bigger investment than these things.

- A wool nightgown
As of now I change into modern wool underwear for the night. It's comfortable, but it would be nice to wear something more accurate, not the least if I want to go up in the night, and when going up in the morning.


I'm thinking something like a Herjolfsnes dress, or another simple gored cote. This would also give me a dress that would work fom Viking Age and up until the 16th century for a general medieval look. A roomy overgown can also easily be slid over the head for extra warmth in the winter.

A warm cape

I have a tendency to get cold in the evenings, so I need something that can keep me warm, and is bigger than my small red gollar.

For my courtgow I need to make this cape,and I'm thinking about doing a version in wool as well just to keep warm.

A short sleeved wool dress
I have my longsleeved green gown and my sleeveless kirtle with detachable sleeves. Now I feel that I need a shortsleeved dress to have all available options. This would also be the dress that I want to use in the winter and for physical stuff, so I wouldn't line it with linen but keep it as a pure wool gown.

I have already picked out the colours for this dress, I want it to be pink with wine coloured details.

I need a pair of bigger shoes. I like my shoes, but I can't fit my hose in them, so I need to buy a pair of shoes that are bigger, and I'm also thinking that they should go a bit higher up like a boot, so that I can use them in the winter when it's snow. Then I would have my current shoes for summer and a pair of cold weather shoes.

I also need some boring househould items like linen towels for when I'm cooking and don't want to use modern cotton towels. A nice big linen bath towel would also be nice to have.

These are enough projects to keep me occupied well into next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment