Tuesday 23 March 2021

HSM21 Challenge: Zero waste - the jedi petticoat

 After I had finished the faux jedi undertunic I realized that I had fabric left. I had cut the fabric straight, so I had one long piece. I have been thinking quite a lot about 17th century, but not enough to be willing to go all in for an historical recreation. Still brown was a very common colour. The linen/viscose blend that I used for the undertunic is really comfy, so I decided to make a standard petticoat out of it. It can work as an outer petticoat for simpler folk, or as an extra under other skirts.

The whole petticoat is made out of two square pieces, taking up the whole remnant of the fabric. The only waste was that little strip that I tore off to make sure that the fabric was on the grain. 

I sewed the pieces together at the sides and attached them to a piece grosgrain tape. I didn't have enough tape to be able to go all around me several rounds. The traditional way of closing a petticoat like this is to have one set of ties from the back piece that you tie in front of you, and one set from the front piece that you tie in the back. Well I only tied it on one side. 
I left a pocket opening on the other side, but the tape is not open there. Still it's possible to adjust the size waist with the tape on the one side.

The whole skirt is knife pleated. The side seams and the seam attaching the fabric to the tape is sewn on the machine, but it is hemmed by hand. 

What the item is: a generic 17th-18th century petticoat
How it fits the challenge: Made from a long piece of leftover fabric cut in two and pleated to fit, no fabric was left afterwards.
Material: 2 m of linen/viscose blend
Pattern: no particular pattern
Year: 17th-18th century
Notions: 1,5 grosgrain tape, modern sewing thread
How historically accurate is it? The fabrics and notions are modern but the model is correct. So 50%
Hours to complete: 2, most of it for the hemming
First worn: not yet
Total cost: $20


No comments:

Post a Comment