Sunday 23 May 2021

The embroidery for the Vika pocket

 I finished the embroidery for the pocket to my traditional costume. Once I decided that I was not going to stick too faithfully to the pattern it was a lot easier to get going.



I started with all the green swirls, this was mostly done according to the pattern. I felt that it left too much open spaces though, and it was also a bit unbalanced.

I decided to add my initials, this is not uncommon on traditional pöockets. For a while I also thought about adding the year, but therw wouldn't be enough space for that. I measured a box for where I wanted the letters to be. It's definitely an issue that the chalk disappears almost immediately on the broadcloth that is used as a fabric. From this stage I tacked down some guidelines for the first letter in regular sewing thread so that I had something to go after, and then I embroidered the letters.


I also added some one more pair of circles/flowers, and with that the embroidery is done. Now I need to go home to my sister so she can help me finish the pocket.


No comments:

Post a Comment