Sunday 11 July 2021

A viking day

 Just like last summer my friends at Ingvara have set up a viking camp outside of Rättvik. Yesterday me and the regular group from the 16th century guild decided to go up there and be vikings for a day. With all bigger events still being cancelled we were all longing for some historical living. The weather forecasts looked really grim, basically rain all day, but we still decided to go through with the planned visit.

This year the camp was situated a bit further down the meadow, and they had built an two additional wooden houses, so not just tents. The location meant that it was in sheep and horse meadow, but unfortunately the chicken stayed closer to the modern houses and didn't run around in the camp.

There was plenty of crafting going on, with Kål-Henrik and Marlein made it showing and teaching sprang weaving. I had a new gown that I worked on, and I'm going to make a post about it soon.

I love the chance of cooking though, so I was really happy to be in the kitchen. We were making an ale-elk (ale-älg in Swedish) stew and a root vegetable stew with three different kinds of onions. I had also brought with me a sourdough from rye and spelt wheat. Unfortunately this is where the weather gods decided that they had given us enough good weather despite the forecast. When we had the pots going on the fire the heavens just opened up. We couldn't make bread, because the skillets we used go too wet, and the stews also got really watered down from the rain. The meat was still ok. We huddled for a while in the more permanent house and when the weather cleared up again I packed up and went home.

The last few times that I have worn my apron dress I have been annoyed that it feels too tight and long. So when I went home I simply chopped off 15 cm of it and rehemmed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment