Monday 16 August 2021

Medieval Week in Visby

 After more than a year of cancelled events it was so great to finally be able to get away. The traditional Medieval Week in Visby did go through, but of course with restrictions in place. I was really happy to have gotten in contact with the group Stockholmsfänikan, which is a group that reenacts the early 15th century landsknechts. So I stayed in their camp the whole week.

I went there with my a friend Emma, whom I've helped to make a 1520s outfit over the last year. Here we are waiting to board the ferry to Gotland.
Visby is a gorgeous place, and a world heirtage site, with it's preserved ring wall and inner town centre.

Our camp was situated right next to the wall.
This is the tent were we spent the week, based on a 16th century tent and made from impregnated linen. 
It was pretty warm, but not a heat wave, so my standard outfit was to wear my mustard kirtle, without sleeves, and a shift with rolled up sleeves.
Just a beautiful silhouette of three ladies walking the streets of Visby.

Karolina and Linus built an oven, so we could actually bake bread, and pies (and pizza)
There were two party nights, and on one of them I managed to cook cabbage, mash and carrots for more than 40 people.

The sunsets in Visby are amazing.

It was great being at an event were so many people were dressed up.

Me in my best trossfrau outfit.
We tried to catch some of the beautiful light in the evening.


Just resting up on the wall

After a whole week I have quite a few ideas on what I want to make next. I want to finished my new cap with blackwork. I also need a new "pretty" dress. I have worked so much in these two gowns that I don't feel pretty and nice in them anymore. I like that they are starting to look lived in, but I also want to be pretty. My apron is also totally covered in stains so I need a new pretty apron as well.

I have more photos of the cooking and food over at Kullan's historical food



No comments:

Post a Comment