Sunday 23 January 2022

HSM22 challenge: Anniversary choice - the finished shirt

 While I was working on the shirt for my fiancé the challenges for the Historical Sew Monthly 2022 showed up, and the first challenge of the year was the "anniversary choice" - choose any challenge from the Historical Sew Fortnightly 2013. One of the challenges in 2013 was 

Re-make, Re-use & Re-fashion – due September 9.  Sew something that pays homage to the historical idea of re-using, re-making and re-fashioning.  Turn one thing into another.  Re-fit or re-fashion an old gown into something you would wear again.  Re-trim a hat for a new outfit, or re-shape a modern hat to be a historical hat.  Re-purpose the fabric from an old garment (your own or a commercial one) into a new garmen

Since this particular shirt is the third version of this shirt I definitely thought that this was a fitting projekt. To reiterate from the first post on this project the shirt that I started out with was my first simple 15th century shift.

Here worn in Visby in 2018

I had remade it once when I needed a quick solution for a shift to go under my 1520's courtgown. Then I had ripped away the collar and just tacked on a gold ribbon around the neck instead.

Worn under the courgown
Since then I had always planned to redo it in some way, and when my fiancé needed his first 16th century shirt I decided that the easiest and fastest way would be to remake the shift, rather than starting a new shirt from scratch.

I started with cutting off 20 cm off the hem of the shift to make it more suitable to a man. I then used the cut off hem to lengthen the sleeves, so they would get long enough for him, and even some extra puffiness.

The new length of the shift and sleeves

Then I gathered the cuffs and the neck.


I made the cuffs a bit wider, with 6 gathering threads, than the neck, where I only used 4 gathering threads. The sleeves would have looked better if they had been a bit wider, the pleats on them got a bit uneven and sparse. I also took the chance of trying out some new smocking styles on this shift, and saw it as a bit as a training project.

On the cuffs I used stemstitches that I sewed in diagonal lines to try and create the diamond pattern that is common on paintings and woodcuts in the period. For the thread I used four strands of the same linen thread that I used to sew the shirt together. 

The finished sleeve with the visible seam where I have lengthened it and the cuff. I also made some fingerbraided strings to close the cuff.


The neck was gathered and there I used smocking stitches to weave between the pleats. I was not too happy with the look of this. It might work better with a thicker thread or an embroidery yarn.

To close the neck I sewed strings of the fabric to tie with, rather than the fingerbraid strings that I used on the cuffs.


The inside of both the neck and the cuffs are finished with a strip of fabric. Both to protect the backside of the embroidery, to hide the ugly back side, and to make sure that the the cuff/neckline doesn't stretch and get bigger. This has happened to me when I have relied on just the smocking embroidery to keep the size. The strips of fabric were also cut from the hem that I had cut off earlier.

The finished shirt

When I had finished the shirt that small strip of fabric was all that remained from the old shift, but I also hadn't had to use any other fabric than what was in the shift from start.

The Challenge: Anniversary challenge - Challenge "Re-use, re-make, re-fashion"

Material: 1 old kneelength shift

Pattern: No pattern used

Year: early 16th century

Notions: linen thread, wool yarn to make fingerbraid strings

How historically accurate is it? Around 75%

Hours to complete: two weeks

First worn: At a 16th century guild feast on January 22nd.

Total cost: Everything was re-used, but if bought new probably around $25



 

No comments:

Post a Comment