Saturday 23 December 2017

The Rilla 1910s corset

This was actually a Project that I spent most of my time in the summer with. I finished it and planned to take some nice photos of it, but it never happened. The corset is packed away for now, and the photos that I did manage to take are not really photos I would like to share, except for this one.

The reason why I made the corset is that I was offered by the Dreamstress to be a pattern tester for it. Since I have plans to someday make a 1910s outfit I felt it would be a fun thing to do, I was also honoured to be chosen as a pattern tester.

The reason why I have these quite ugly photos of me in them is because I had to send in photos together with my review of the pattern.

Overall I can really recommend the pattern for anyone trying out this era. I made sure to follow the instructions exactly as they were written, having done a few corset I could have jumped a few of them, but they were clear and I ended up with a corset with a perfect fit. In fact it was so perfect, according to the measurment instructions that I had to take it in a bit. It closes fully in the back, while I'm used to ending up with a gap.

Since I don't have a 1910s ensemble, I haven't been yet worn the corset for any length of time, but from the fitting and this photo session it felt really comfortable. It's definitely softer than what I'm used to from 18th Century stays or Victorian corsets.

A fun thing though was that when I took these photos I didn't have a shift around, since it's an underbust I needed something to make me a bit decent. Well I was at my mother's house, so in her storage I actually found a shift from my paternal great grandmother. The shape of it makes me pretty certain that it's actually an original piece from the 1910s. Now it was a bit too small fr me, but not worse than when I will start working on a 1910s wardrobe I will just add a small extension (1-2 cm) to the shoulder strap and I would be able to wear it comfortably.

If you want to make your own Rilla corset you can buy the pattern at Scroop patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment