Thursday 27 December 2018

#costumingyearinreview

Over on instagram there is the hashtag #costumingyearinreview going around, and I figured it could be a new way of summarising my costuming year. I'm a day late, but I will do the December 26th and 27th posts in this one. I will also mix my historical costumes and cosplay projects.


My costume plans 2018 were:

1520's outfit
Admiral Daala (Star Wars)
Updated Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Melisandre's travelling coat (Game of Thrones)
Resistance Girl ('Allo, 'Allo)

My costumes of the year

The first costume that I finished was Admiral Daala, and I could bring her to Nordsken in May.


It is a great con costume. It's comfy, I don't have to worry about my hair, and even the boots are nice to walk in for long distances. The downside is of course that nobody recognizes her.

The second thing that I finished was my 1520's outfit. I had made different shifts and accessories so that I could style it both as either uper class or middle class.



One of the local master miners estates had been restored to its 18th century appearance, and that gave me a chance to finally finish my pet en l'air. I also retrimmed one of my straw hats.


The summer was one big heatwave though, and wearing a longsleeved wool gown, with a kirtle under it, was too much. For Tuna Ting I quickly threw together a late 15th century shortsleeved gown in a very thin wool. It's not the most accurate, both when it comes to fabric and the fact that I sewed most of it on the machine. It was needed to survive the summer though.


A surprise when it came to comfortable costumes was the fact that I just loved walking around in my Melisandre gown. I failed totally in making her travelling cloak, but I got good use of the gown both at NärCon and at Stockholm ComicCon. It's totally like walking around in a big bathrobe, and I don't have to do much about my hair. I can even hide a pair of sneakers under it to be able to walk all day long.


I went to Medieval Week in Visby for the first time in August, and I realised that I would need some more clothes. I had been jealous of all the vikings at the Leksand Medieval Market, they looked so cool and comfortable compared to my 16th century clothes. So I quickly threw together a viking. The shift is great, the apron dress so so, but it worked. I'm not aiming for anything perfect for my viking, I just wanted another set of clothes.


Then in a very quick project, that still turned out really well I made a 1790's roundgown. Hildasholm in Leksand had a Jane Austen day, and of course I wanted to dress the part. Earlier in the year I had been given a lot of 18th century reproduction fabrics, so now I could make use of at least some of them. I have never really liked regency clothing, and I have claimed that those highwaisted column dresses aren't flattering for me, but I might have to change my opinion. I really enjoyed wearing this gown. Also it was fun to make some rediculous accessories, like the snow cone reticule and the chemisette.


All year my plan had been to finish updating my Luna Lovegood for AvestaCon in October. I had updated the shoes and the shirt, but my Hogwarts robe arrived the week after. Luna is another costume that is perfect for conventions, everybody recognized it from Harry Potter, and it's so easy to wear.


The one thing I didn't do from my list was the Resistance girl from 'Allo, 'Allo. It's going to be a low priority. If I find a suitable and cheap trenchcoat I can throw it together, but I'm not going to go searching for it.

Outside of this I have made a lot of small things, mostly for the HSM challenges, and a separate post for them can be found here

Best acquisition:

Costplay - My Hogwarts robe

No comments:

Post a Comment