Monday 27 January 2020

HSM2020 Challenge 1 - time travelling

My aim this year is to complete all 12 HSM challenges, and I want to do most of them in the right month. In keeping with the theme of sustainability I also want to do things that I will actually use, so not a one off garment just to fit the challenge. The theme for January was time travelling.
Create an item that works for more than one historical era, or that can be used for both historical costuming, and modern wear. It could be an apron that could do 1770s or 1860s in a pinch, a shift that can work under many decades of fashion, or a historical cape you also wear everyday, etc.
 Since I spent most of January working on my shift I was a bit stumped on what to do that could work for the challenge. I was thinking about a 1920s cloche, but I have made one and I rarely use it since I can't fit it under my bike helmet (I go by bike to work everyday). In the end I simply went to my stash and saw if I could get inspiration from it. I had quite a large piece of cotton voile and I decided to do a neckerchief from it. Neckerchiefs were used throughout the ages, they did have different decorations and design elements, but by keeping it very simple it would easier fit in different eras. (and it would go quicker to make).

17th century
18th century
I don't have any photos of it, but a plain white neckerchief is still used today as mourning neckerchief with my folk costume. I even made the neckerchief big enough that I can use it to wrap around my 16th century wulsthaube, or lend it out to friends who borrow my 16th century costumes.

16th century
The neckerchief is a square of plain cotton voile 92x92 cm. It was the biggest square I could get from my fabric piece. The cotton makes it more of an 18th century or later piece, and that is what I mostly intend to use it for, but just like in th challenge it works in a pinch for earlier centuries.




It has a double hem and is handsewn with waxed linen thread.

What the item is: -a plain cotton neckerchief
How it fits the challenge: IT isn an 18th century item, but it can be used for the 17th century, my modern folk costume and in a pinch 16th century as well.
Material: almost 1 m of cotton voile
Pattern: It's just a square
Year: 17th century - today
Notions: waxed linen thread
How historically accurate is it? It best matches up to the 18th century, I think there I would place it around 90%. 
Hours to complete: 6
First worn: not yet
Total cost: $7 (the meter price for a new piece of fabric)

No comments:

Post a Comment