Wednesday 1 January 2020

Costuming year in review - goal for 2020

Happy New Costuming Year!

It's time to lay out the plans for the coming year, and this year I have a few specific costumes that I want to finish. I have thought about all these costumes for quite a while, but now it's really time to make them public. My costuming year follow a certain rythm. During the spring it's planning and slow work, then comes May with the first historical events, in June-July the focus is on NärCon, August-September is usually mixed between historical events and ComicCon, before the costuming season ends with AvestaCon in late October. Then in November/December the planning starts for the coming year, and it all kicks of in January again.

Goal 1 - Swedish 1520's court gown
My main goal for 2020 is to make that 1520's court gown I have been talking about for a long time. I have started with the mustard kirtle that I will use as an underkirtle, and I am working on a new shift with blackwork in order to try out techniques before I make a really fancy shift with goldwork.


The gold gown to the right is fairly close to what I'm aiming for. For the courtgown I will need to make

  • a new shift - fine linen with goldwork
  • a new wulsthaube
  • a silk cap/hood with goldwork to go over the new wulsthaube
  • silk velvet gown
  • probably new shoes and jewellery

The 1520's court project is so big that I am trying to force myself to not do too many other projects but I have three in mind.

Goal 2 - Princess Daisy from Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
This is the new costume with the goal of having a comfortable costume for NärCon. The plan is to construc the costume from sportswear fabric, to make it cool and comfortable. The challenges will be to order fabric, stretchy and wicking fabric in oranage is apparently only found in the US, learn to make resin jewellery and make all kinds of sport equipments. Daisy has a lot of different rackets, clubs and bats in her arsenal and I want to have at least one to carry around.

Goal 3 - Enfys Nest
I made Enfys Nest into a wearable state for Celebration, but now I want to go back and redo all the things that were rushed, the things that broke at Celebration and of course make the helmet. The goal is to have her finished before ComiCon Stockholm.

Goal 4 - a generic jedi librarian


I am not going to make Jocasta Nu from Attack of the Clones, but use her costume as inspiration for a generic jedi. I'm simply a bit bored with my x-wing uniform and want something else that's generic and comfortable, but still obviously Star Wars. With my set of skills the jedi librarian is a good costume, since it doesn't involve any leather work, she's not even wearing a belt, so it's basically just a sewn costume. I will need to buy a lightsabre though, and that will be the main investment for the costume.

So those are my goals, I have a lot of other small things that I want to do, for example I will need to make winter wear for my 16th century wardrobe, but these are my main goals for the year.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a jedi librarian costume. Best wishes for your 2020 goals x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a jedi librarian - best wishes with 2020!

    ReplyDelete