Friday 3 January 2020

HSM2019 round-up

I didn't finish many HSM challenges this year. I worked too much on non-historical projects and the challenges didn't really fit what I was doing when I did historical things. It's not strange that I picked up the HSM projects at the end of the year, when the main costuming projects were done and it was easier to just come up with small and fairly easy things.

Here are my completed challenges for the Historical Sew Monthly 2019

Challenge 6 - favorite technique
Giant sleeve ruffles - my favorite technique is rolled hems.



Challenge 9 - everyday
The Mustard kirtle - a kirtle that would work fine for everyway wear in the early 16th century



Challenge 10 - details
A smocked apron - an apron with tiny invisible stitches and smocking


Challenge 11 - above belt
Three 16th century rosaries - usually worn as an accessory on the belt



Challenge 12 - on a shoestring
A pair of lucet cords - total cost was less than $3

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that smocking is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think smocking is actually quite fun, and it looks impressive but is not as hard as people think.

      Delete
  2. It's funny, I often have the same problem with HSM. I think as a new costumer on a fairly low budget, I'm still working towards getting my basic pieces together for some standard looks. I think in a few years, the inspiration to make new things will be more useful than now, when it's more like "how can I fit what im making into these categories"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The HSM is great to accentuate your wardrobe, most of my accessories have been done thanks to HSM challenges, otherwise I would just be doing big things, but the accessories are important for the full historical look.

      Delete