Sunday 29 December 2019

HSM2019 challenge 12 - on a shoestring

I haven't done many HSM challenges this year, but I really wanted to finish up the year with one. The theme for challenge 12 was
"On a shoestring - It’s an expensive time of year, so make an item on a tight budget (say, under $15, or less than you’d spend on a reasonable priced takeaway meal for one person in your country "
Shouldn't be too hard to come up with something, right. I had scraps of wool from left from the year, and small enough that they wouldn't end up costing more than the allowed budget. I just couldn't come up with anything though, Finally yesterday, with a bit of panic, I remembered that I hadn't finished the cords for attaching the sleeves to my mustard kirtle. When I wore it in August I had pinned the sleeves on, but I had decided to make eyelets and tie them on with cords. I had made one cord back in the autumn, but I needed a pair, so I sat down watched the Witcher on Netflix and finished the second cord.


The cords are lucet cords made of a brown wool yarn. I bought a lucet fork (slynggaffel) many years ago, and now I finally feel like I have gotten the hand of making lucet cords. There are a lot of video tutorials for lucet cords out there, but I felt that I got the hang of it when I follwed this written tutorial instead. The one problem I have with the technique is that if I make a mistake I either have to unravel everything I've done, or end up with clear cap in the cord. That happened on one of the strings, but I decided to live with it and if it breaks I can always make a new one. One thing to remember with lucet cords is that they are springy, they are still very strong though and work fine for lacing.

What the item is: - a pair of cords
How it fits the challenge: They are very cheap, and lucet cords were used in the Middle Ages.
Material: A couple of meters of wool yarn
Pattern: None, but I followed this tutorial - https://feltmagnet.com/textiles-sewing/How-to-use-a-lucet
Year: Middle Ages
Notions: - 
How historically accurate is it? I'm not sure how the yarn corresponds to the yarn that was used in the Middle Ages, but the technique is accurate. So maybe 80%
Hours to complete: 6 (3 for each cord - probably faster if you don't watch TV at the same time)
First worn: not yet
Total cost: The yarn was from my stash, but I checked and similar yarns go for around $3 for a whole ball of yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment