Saturday 21 December 2019

Floral Wars dress at the Rise of Skywalker premiere

Earlier this year I got in on ordering a version of the Floral Wars fabric from Knitorious Fabrics. Knitorious only do limited runs and you have to pre-order them, they don't keep stock of their fabrics. I had just missed out on their Star Wars fabrics last year, so now I ordered soe as soon as I saw that hey opened up their pre-order again.

When the invitation came for the prevew of Rise of Skywalker I knew that I wanted to make a new dress for it. The preview was in Stockholm and I would have to go back and forth over the evening, thankfully it was early enough that I could catch the last train towards Dalarna. I didn't feel like being in costume, and instead thought that it would be fun to dress upp for the event.


The preview was fun, and it was great seeing it with my friends in the legions. Now only celebrities were allowed to walk the red carpet where they had our costumed members, so I didn't get photos with them, just with the stormtroopers that were out in the foyer.

For the dress I once again used the Lena pattern from Simply Sew. This time I chose to do a shortsleeved version. My first try with the pattern ended up a bit too big, so this time I increased the seam allowances, and that made it fit a lot better.


The bodice is lined in a thin navy jersey and I used a heavier organic cotton jersey for the waistband. This pattern is really easy to work with. I cut out all the pieces in one evening and sewed the whole dress together in one evening.

I was really happy with the pattern matching in front. I cheat a bit and use a pin to make sure that the stormtrooper in the middle don't slide apart while I'm wearing it. I could probably add a few stitches there.

For the premiere I wore the dress with my smallest tuille petticoat to give it a bit of extra pouff. The skirt of teh dress is so wide that it hangs better with a petticoat under it. I also wore my selfmade lightsabre earrings, my Her Universe R2 pearl necklace and my Heroes and Villains handbag.

No comments:

Post a Comment