Monday 2 December 2019

Shiny, dangly lightsabres

The people that I talk SW fandom fashion with knows that I quite often moans over the fact that there are so few nice looking earrings. I love big chandelier-style earrings, but most SW earrings are studs or just a small ship. There have been some nice lightsabre earrings, but now when I went out to search for them I though they were too expensive. Well then I decided that I could make my own. I went out to some Swedish bead and jewellery making sites and ordered some beads and looked for what I had at home. I don't do a lot of beading, but I have some supplies after my Luna Lovegood jewellery.


The beads I used were two tubular clear tubular rhinestone beads (tubpärlor med klar strass) and 6 mm firepolished czech glass beads in a deep capri colour. To that I also added a small bead cap, and at home I had wire, clamping beads and ear hooks. For best effect I would have preferred a silver or transparent wire, but black is what I had at home.

First  I put the base bead on in the middle of a piece of wire. 

For the next bead I threaded both pieces of wire through the bead, so the wire is inside all the beads except for the base bead.

In total I used 7 beads.

I then added the bead hat, to look a bit like the emitter on the lightsabre.

And finally the tube rhinestone bead. After this I put a clamping bead above the tube bead to push all the beads down on to the base bead. This was tricky and I had to redo the first earring a couple of times because the clamping bead ended up too high, which meant gaps between the blue beads and not a nice unbroken row.

Then I added another clamping bead, pushed the wire through the ear hook, and then I pushed both pieces of wire back through the clamping bead. Before I clamped the bead closed I tried to get the wire loop and ear hook as close to the other beads as possible.

The finished earring. I made the second earring a lot faster than the first one, and it also looked better so I definitely got better with practice.

Now I have a nice pair of dangly and sparkling SW-inspired earrings. I think most SW fans will see the lightsabres, but non-fans will probably just see a row of sparkling beads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment