Thursday 5 December 2019

A quick fix for a cheap wig

On Sunday it's time for the annual Christmas fair at work, which is one of the most respected and well-known fairs in Sweden to be honest. Since last year we have worked with creating a more "historical" atmosphere. Our problem is lack of money and the fact that the costume department at work is basically just me, outside of my regular work. I will probably make a longer post about the differences between being a serious historical costumer and having to work within the confines of a small budget, lack of knowledge and lack of time.

Anyway one of the things that was a last minute thing to create a decent costume for a person to portray Anders Swab, the head administrator in the year 1719. There is a portrait of him looking like this

A wig was essential. The original plan was to borrow a decent outfit, but when that fell through I had to make things work. This I realized on Monday, yes this Monday. The only opportunity was to go out to one of the cheap party shops that I can rely on delivering within one or two days, and so I did. I found this awful and cheap pirate wig, but it was still the best option they had. Don't get me started on what they called their 18th century wigs or layer/judges wigs.


Even before it arrived I had a plan though. I tried to take photos of the process, but the bad light in the shower at work didn't really show any differences between the stages. I started out with a can of cheap white spray-on haircolour. I emptied the whole can, and that was enough to turn the wig from a shiny black monster and into something decent. The next step was to apply generous amounts of hair powder. I didn't use my proper 18th century hairpowder for this, but instead I mixed potato starch (potatismjöl) and baby powder (talc) in equeal amounts. To make the hair powder stick I used a regular strong hairspray. I sprayed the wig and then brushed the powder on with a regular paintbrush in layers. I finished it all off with a generous dose of hairspray.

This was the end result


I haven't styled the wig at all, so it will stay in the same shape as I bought it, but the new colour, shine and texture of it has really turned it into a believable 18th century wig, instead of a cheap party wig.

Cost - wig $25, haircolour spray $5, potato starch $1, baby powder $2. Total cost - $33

No comments:

Post a Comment