Sunday 22 March 2020

Finishing the goldwork

I have really enjoyed doing the goldwork, and I've continued to add more floral ornaments around the main elements.

When I started to get into cutwork and beading I found that it was really helpful to have a piece of felt where I could keep everything. It made it easier to see the small gold pieces and beads, and they didn't roll around on a hard and flat service.

In the sample pack that I had ordered there were several kinds of supplies that I hadn't really thought about it using, mainly the gold leather and some check thread. Since this is about learning different techniques I wanted to use them all, even if I don't plan on using them in my big goldwork project.

I addedsome more florals and some grapes, made from glass beads. Grapes pop up a lot in 16th century pattern books so it felt good to add them.

After all the outlines it was time to see how much of the ornaments I could fill in with the check thread.

This is the final embroidery, the check was enough to fill in four of the major leaves, but not the ones in the bottom. I tried to fill them with beading, but that didn't look good so I left them empty.

Now it's on to actually make something useful from the embroidery, I am thinking about making a purse from it, we will see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment