Thursday 5 March 2020

My options for a lightsabre

Of course after all the looking around at lightsabers I have started to narrow down the choices for what I would like to have as my personal saber.

Me playing with a friend's kyberlight lightsaber
I am planning to do a jedi librarian, at home in the jedi temple on Coruscant. I really love the art nouveau inspirations for the prequels, so I want a sleek and elegant weapon, for a more civilized time. I also want it to be in gold or copper, with a blue blade if I have to choose. I want a lightsaber with sound, but not a heavy duty duel lightsabre.

Here are my top choices


Saberforge - Aeon Apprentice Sabre
Cost breakdown
Base hilt $75
Veteran Electronics $184
Powder Coat $75
Covertech clip $10
Colour - blue $0

Total cost - $344 (without the powder coat it would be $269

I find the cost is a bit too much if I want the powder coat, so I can get it in gold or copper. From what I have heard the quality of saberforge sables are hit and miss, and I don't want to risk getting a miss. This will probably not be my saber.

Ultrasaber Apprentice LE v5
Cost breakdown
Base hilt + Premium Obsidian Sound $215
Standard 32" blade - $10
Imperial screw wrench - $1 (can't use metric wrenches)
Covertech wheel - $15
Colour - guardian blue $0

Total cost - $249

This is the cheapest option. I will not buy an Ultrasaber though since they are too big and bulky, I want something more proportional to myself.

Kyberlight knight with Temple guard bundle
Cost breakdown
Knight pack silver $199 (includes sound and many color options)
Accessories Temple Guard bundle - $47.97
Blue dayblade - $19.99

Total cost - $266.96

This is a strong contender. The hilt is a bit boring, but it has a nice pommel and I like the gold color. It's also a big plus that you can also buy a dayblade. When I tried a friend's kyberlight saber it was gorgeous to play around with.

Electrum Sabercraft Torrent in copper
Cost breakdown
Torrent - $299 (includes sound and full colour options)
24K gold+ion switchplate - $10
Standard 32" thinwall blade - $0
Covertech wheel $15

Total cost - $324

This is also a very strong contender. It's my favorite design, it totally fits in with the Old Republic aestethics that I want. It is more expensive and lacks the dayblade that the kyberlight has though. I also wonder how much I would actually use the app to finetune the settings of the light and sound.

I have a fifth choice and that is a sabre that a local propmaker has offered me. It would of course be a lot easier to buy it locally, and I wouldn't have to worry about hight shipping and import fees. Still it's a long time until I have to decide what I want.

What would you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment