Tuesday 1 January 2019

#costumingyearinreview goals for 2019

With all the recaps from 2018 done it's time to look forward to what 2019 will bring costume wise. I was worried that the Historical Sew Monthly challenges wouldn't continue in 2019, but they will. The list of challenges have been posted already, but I'm not going to post a dedicated 2019 HSM plan. Last year I learnt that I hardly ever plan my HSM projects, they are more things that I come up with when it's time for each challenge. I will concentrate on the 16th and 18th centuries, but who knows what other time periods might sneak in.

For this year I have five major costume plans, and in order of deadlines they are:

1. Enfys Nest
She needs to be finished by April for Celebration Chicago. This will be my main focus for the winter. If I run into some snags I might have to delay her until NärCon though, there are some things that I have ordered that need to arrive in time and details like that. I'm a bit scared about this costume since it contains so many hard parts that I need to work on.

Status:

I have fabric and shoes and gloves. I'm going to start with the soft parts straight away in January.

2. Lady Poe robe à la Francaise


On the 8th of June there is this big ball set in 1762, I hadn't planned on going (it's expensive) but I got some money for it as a Christmas gift. It's very strict about accuracy and I need to wear a proper francaise for it. I'm going to resurrect my Lady Poe project. After all I ordered all the fabric back in 2017, I hope I ordered enough to make a full francaise with all the trimmings. I'm going to skip on the step where I make it into a Star Wars-costume, and just go for a proper 1760's look, but I'm still going to call it my Lady Poe. 

3. Obelix
At last NärCon me and Ann-Sofie decided to make Asterix and Obelix, after all she and her husband had been so well received as Tintin and Captain Haddock and we talked about other fun childhood favorites to cosplay. I'm plus size, I'm a redhead. This will be a really fun project, and yes I want to come up with a way to make a menhir to carry around. An idea that I have played with is also, if I'm going to make this, why not make a genderbent version as well. I'm thinking a pinup Obelix would be really fun and still recognizable.

4. Melisandre's coat
I want to finish the coat and wear it to NärCon as a complete costume.



4. 1520s court dress
I have so many ideas for 16th century gowns, but I want to slowly work away on my court gown. I have cut out the bodice and started to interline the velvet. This will be a slow project that I work on when I don't have other things. I also want a new sleeveless kirtle, and that will be a project so that I have another gown for medieval events. 

Other loose plans that I have for the year, but no set dates or specific plans:

A 16th century half-length cloak/cape
A couple of 16th century shifts
A veil or hood wih goldwork embroidery (this could actually work with the HSM challenge for August)
A 1695 jacket or mantua.
An Edwardian sporting outfit (I do have a deadline for this, but I'm afraid it will clash with both Enfys Nest and the francaise project, so I'm already counting on scrapping it)

And with that the new costuming year is off to a start. 

Happy sewing and crafting everyone.




No comments:

Post a Comment