Saturday 19 January 2019

#10-year challenge costume edition

The 10-year challenge is going around on Facebook, where you post either your first profile pic or a profile pic from 10 years ago side by side with your current one. I figured I could do one for my costumes and see what I came up with.

In 2008 I made the first version of my A-wing pilot.

2008
Compare that to my current pilot costume, which is the X-wing pilot.

2018

I hadn't really started with serious historical costuming in 2008, I have some costumes from 2009 though.

From the16th century there was this ballgown inspired by Maria von Habsburgs wedding gown. It's all machine sewn and made in a poly brocade from a modern princess-seamed dress. Still the quality of the sewing isn't too bad and I actually have this gown around when I need something shiny and more fairytale-like than historical.

2009
It's quite far off from my handmade wool outfit that I finished last year though.

2018

In 2009 I made one of the worst costumes I've ever made, my 1860s ballgown. It shows that I could follow pattern directions, but I couldn't adjust a pattern to actually make it look good on me.

2009
Compare that to my pet en l'air that I draped and combined different patterns with to get a good fit. I'm also a lot more careful with hair, makeup and accessories compared to 2009.

2018
Fun fact though. The grey skirt that I'm wearing was my first 18th century skirt, and it was made to be worn with a jacket that was made from the skirt fabric of the 1860's ballgown.

Looking back I definitely see how my skills have improved. It's not so much the skills themselves though, but the fact that I try to take time and be more careful, and not just throw fabric together and hoping that it should end up as something wearable. It's my eye and inner quality consultant that have developed in these 10 years more than anything else. I would also say that I look more comfortable wearing my costumes than I did 10 years ago. It shows that body language is something that can really transform a costume, and body language is something to learn. It didn't come natural for me when I started, but now I feel much more relaxed in costume and it shows.



No comments:

Post a Comment