Wednesday 23 January 2019

Starting Enfys' cape

I'm waiting for my next paycheck to be able to order a lot of the material and pieces that I need for Enfys, still I wanted to get something done. I decided to cut out the lining of the cape, that way I could see that I had a pattern that would work, and how much fabric I will need to order.

On the original costume it's possible to see two seams, so I'm making a cape in three pieces.


I'm planning on using a wool broadcloth, so I don't want too much fabric at the neck, since it's going to be very bulky. I decided to use some kind of version of a circle cut cape, which gives you a lot of width at the hem, some really nice folds, but no gathering at the neck.

This is a great diagram of how to make a cape or cloak in different variaties of a circle. The site where I've found it even calls it the Circle game.


I didn't go for a full or semi-circle cape, I kept the outer sides of piece 1 and 3 on the selvage, so they are straight, just like the fold of piece two. I also cut all the angles at 45 degrees, since it's simple to measure even without tools.

The result is not quite a semi-circle, but it still hangs really nice and has a 3 m hem at the bottom, so it's really swirly.  In totaly I used 2,5 m of 150 cm wide fabric for this pattern.




No comments:

Post a Comment