Friday 30 October 2020

HSM Challenge 10 - get crafty

 This is the October challenge, so it felt good to actually finish it in the right month. This was also a total 180 degrees from my big Celebration project. This was small, cheap and quick.

OctoberGet Crafty: Make use of your own skills or learn a new one to make something from scratch rather than buy material. The possibilities for learning and applying new skills and techniques are endless. Lace, pleated self-fabric trim, knotted fly trim, embroidery, dyeing, knitting your own corset laces, hand painting your own fabric…

I decided to make cloth buttons, so that I don't have to rely on bought hooks and eyes for closure of my 16th century things. 


 The fabric for the buttons started out as a wool skirt I found in a second hand store. In 2016 it was turned into my first dreadful attempt at a 16th century teller barret, and quick guards for my undergown to turn more into an outer garment. I didn't have an outer gown at the time.

Back in 2016
I never used the hat again, and earlier this year I cut it up. There was still pretty large pieces of wool, so I've kept them for small things. Like buttons. The buttons are made from this tutorial. When I use them I will probably cover them with thread, but I won't do that until I know what I'm going to use them for, so that I can match them to the project. For now they are going into the regular button box.

The Challenge: October - get crafty

Material: scraps of reen wool

Pattern:  this tutorial

Year: medieval

Notions: waxed linen thread

How historically accurate is it? They are so basic so they are definitely very accurate, 95% or so

Hours to complete: less than an hour

First worn: not yet

Total cost: all from stash, but probably less than $5


No comments:

Post a Comment