Sunday 10 January 2021

Embroidery for a new shift

 At the moment I don't a lot of inspiration for anything big, but at the same time I have spent a lot of time in the sofa watching TV, and I want something to do with my hands. Earlier in the autumn I started an embroidery to make a shift for my 1520s courtgown. I soon realized that I wouldn't be able to finish it before my deadline, and I had to concentrate on the gown and hood. Well this weekend I decided to finish the embroidery. I don't have a deadline for this shift, so I will take it as project in my own time, trying to just enjoy the process without having to stress so much.


For this embroidery I used gold coloured filament silk. I bought it from DeVere yarns since I find their selection of both thicknesses and colours of silk is the best that I have seen. I really hope there won't be too many problems with shipping now after Brexit if I want to order from them again. I ordered ther nr 12 thread, but that was too fine. I have to use four strands instead of two for the thread to cover the fabric. Using double the amount of strands also brings double the amount of tangling. Another thing I realized is how much harder on the eyes it is to work with the light gold coloured thread, compared to the black silk I used for the remake of my 16th century shift. While I could do the embroidery with just my eyes in black, for this embroidery I'm using the kind of magnifying glass you can hang around your neck. That works really well though, even if I feel a bit like a very old lady when using it.

The pattern is from a 1526 patternbook from Augsburg, and it is available here. I thought the heart pattern was really cute, and it was fun to work something less geometrical compared to the blackwork I did in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment