Sunday 17 January 2021

I found some inspiration

 As I mentioned in my posts about costume plans for the year I have had problem finding inspiration. I have really enjoyed my cross stitch embroidery, but I can't keep doing neck decorations and cuffs, I simply don't need so many shifts. I started thinking about needing a larger embroidery project, that could be something different, and then inspiration struck.

I found this portrait. It's from Philadelphia Museum of Art, but you can't link direktly to their image so I had to go via pinterest. It's attributed to the artist Martin Schaffner, who was active in Ulm, and it's dated to around 1520. Now Ulm is in Baden-Würtemberg so a lot further south than the areas that I prefer to take inspiration from, but this whole outfit fits well with the quite generic early 1520's fashion that I like. It has a rounded neckline instead of squre, the sleeves are quite wide (that would set it apart from my green long-sleeved gown), the shift has embroidery both at the neckline and cuffs. I really like the burgundy guard around the neck and sleeve openings. Even if I'm not a huge fan of brown I had planned to make a brown, or at least more somber, gown in the future so it fits there as well. What's really special is that embroidery on her hood, but that is also something I would really like to make. And by now I have so many wulsthaubes so if I feel that the embroidery is a bit too strange for Sweden, I can wear something else. 

I don't have a specifik deadline for the project, I don't really need a new shift, gown or hood, but that is also what I enjoy. I can now have a goal so that I have something to plan, but I can do it when I feel for it. It's even possible that I won't even get started on this until next year.

Another embroidery thing I started thinking about is the jedi librarian. A jedi librarian has a geometric pattern to the obi and tabards. I have had a hard time finding a fabric with a pattern that I like, but if I decide to embroider the pattern, then I can decide it by myself.

Jocasta Nu is the most famous jedi librarian.



No comments:

Post a Comment