Thursday 7 January 2021

Historical Sew Monthly 2021

 The HSM will continue in 2021. The overall theme for this year is "fiction" and if you can you should try and connect the project to either a fictional character or a persona. This will be a bit of problem for me when it comes to my 16th century costuming, since I try to base that more on "real" people than on fiction. On the other hand the 1796 project is smack in the right period for anything Jane Austen inspired, or the Scarlet Pimpernel which I adored as child. It's also the time period when my all time favorite opera - The Magic Flute, was done, and right now I'm thinking that it would be so much fun to be able to recreate a costume connected to the Magic Flute. 

January: Joy: Create an item that brings you joy, or that epitomises the joy you find in historical costuming.

This is very open, so I will probably save this for when I have a hard time coming up with something.

February: The Roaring 20s: Make something from the 20s (any century) or that somehow incorporates a number in the 20s.

This sounds like a good fit for my new 1520s gown.

March: Small is beautiful: Little things can make a big difference to the finished look. Make something small but perfect (bonus points if it exclusively uses materials purchased from a small business)

No idea

April: The Costumer’s New Look: Give an old costume a new look, either by creating a new accessory or piece which expands or changes the aesthetic and use of an outfit, re-fashioning something into a costume item, or re-making an old costume.

No idea

May: Purple: Make an item in any shade of purple.

I cleared out my stash of purple fabrics for two of the 2020 challenges, but I will see if I have some scraps left to do anything.

June: On Your Head: Create an item you wear on your head.

For the 1796 ball I will need something to wear on my head, and I really like 1790s turbans. I don't really feel a need for any new 16th century headwear.

July: Like a Melody: Make something inspired by music.

If I'm going to a ball, I guess that can be done as inspired by music.

August: Cite Your Sources: We’re always a fan of research in the HSM, but this time it’s the centre of the challenge. Create something that requires research to get it right. Be thoughtful in your choice and use of research sources, and (of course) be sure to share your research sources along with your make!

No idea

September: Closures: This one is all about how you fasten a garment. Try a new type of closure you’ve never done (time to tackle dog-legged plackets, hand-sewn eyelets or pinning yourself in?) or make something where the focus is on the fastenings.

No idea

October: Orange: It’s the final colour to be covered by a colour challenge! Make something orange.

I have a lot of scraps of orange/gold silk velvet both from princess Daisy and the courtgown project, something small from that.

November: Zero Waste: Make something that creates zero waste. You could either sew a garment like a shift that uses clever geometry to use all the fabric, re-make an old costuming item to extend its life, or create something entirely from re-used materials.

No idea

December: All the World’s a Stage: Make something inspired by theatre, opera, or the modern stage: films & tv.

If I'm going to do anything related to the Magic Flute, this will be the challenge for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment