Wednesday 6 January 2021

Costume plans 2021

 After all the looking back at 2020 it's time to look forward to 2021. As of writing I don't really have any big plans ahead. The more I get into recreating history, and not just doing the costuming, I get more and more into things that I need to be comfortable in a camp. That will probably affect my costuming, since I'm hoping that the outdoor medieval events will resume this year. For cosplay I will probably just push the 2020 projects into 2021, and see if I get inspiration for them.

Historical costuming

I have material for a new 1520s gown. This would be a simple gown suitable for the local middle.

A wool nightgown. I need something to sleep in at camp without freezing.

A simple shift. All my current 16th century shifts have a lot of smocking and embroidery. I want to make a tighter shift that doesn't get so bulky under the gown, and with a simple shift I could start to make more partlets and other details to go over it.

A pair of hose. I have my red pair, but that was really just a test version. The seams are too bulky to fit in medieval shoes, so I would like to make a new pair with neater seams.

Finishing the court gown project. I still have the cape to finish for the court gown, I have also cut out pieces for an embroidered shift for it, so I should try and finish those.

A 1796 ballgown - with stays and petticoats. On September 4th there will be a ball set in 1796, but the same organizers that had the 1762 ball that I attended with my Lady Poe gown. That ball was so much fun that I really want to go to this one. I really need to update my late 18th century wardrobe, since all the stays and gowns have shrunk mysteriously. I hope to be able to use my late 18th century stays, so I don't have to make new ones, and can concentrate on the more fun outer pieces. At the moment I'm thinking about using my favorite opera The Magic Flute as inspiration, since it premiered in 1791.

I have been looking around for fashion plates and extant gowns, and I want to do something similar to this. A simple white gown, an open robe and a turban. 
This portrait by Louis Gauffier is also really beautiful


Cosplay projects

I will see what events will happen. I want to finish the Daisy project that I started last year, a princessy Days and not the winter Daisy, and after that it's probably the jedi librarian that will be my priority.

The half-finished Daisy costume.

2 comments:

  1. It will be fun seeing you do 1790s! I'm also thinking ofgoing to the ball but of course everthing is still very uncertain at this point...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made some 1790s before, but it will be fun to do it now, with better skills. I also started looking at Regency versions of "Nationella dräkten".

    ReplyDelete