Friday 1 January 2021

2020 costuming review

 I think I can easily say that just as for many of us 2020 didn't exactly turn out to be anything close to what I thought it would be when I posted my costume plans in early January. My plans were to make my 1520 Swedish courtgown, Princess Daisy from Supermario in winter attire, Enfys Nest and a Jedi librarian. 

What became obvious to me was that all inspiration for cosplay projects disappeared at the same rate that all events got cancelled. For cosplay I need an event to aim for. In the end the only cosplay related thing I did was to make a mudhorn egg for my jawa. Even that isn't totally finished since I need to add more paint and attach a string to carry it with.


It was easier to keep the inspiration going for historical projects, and there the Historical Sew Monthly (HSM) is a great inspiration with 12 challenges to complete during a year. My main costuming project that took the most time and energy was that I did manage to finished my court gown project, and I was lucky to get some wonderful photos of it as well.


The more unexpected costuming projects that I did year was when I on a whim decided to make a 1920's one hour dress, and take it to a workshop in educational time travel.


With all big events cancelled, one got to appreciate the smaller things you could do in the vicinity. Like when a friend posted on FB that she wanted to go to a local mansion that is from the early 1900s in period attired. I love 1910s fashion, so I finally added both underwear and outerwear to my Rilla corset from a couple of years ago.


The rest of the things I made were mostly smaller stuff, that fit in with the HSM challenges, so I will make a separate post with just a HSM20 recap.





No comments:

Post a Comment