Friday 13 July 2018

Melisandre from Game of Thrones

One of my redheaded costumes for the year will be Melisandre from Game of Thrones. More precisely I want to do her travelling outfit.


I want to do the travelling outfit, since that will allow me to use my own hair and just hide it under the hood of the cloak so that I can hide that it's not long enough.

My plan is to do the gown she's wearing under the cloak for NärCon in the end of July, and then do the full cloak for ComicCon in September.

I started off with Simplicity 1009 as a base for the gown.

It's clearly a pattern modelled on the costumes from Game of Thrones, but simplified. In its original it is a bodice with a separate skirt, with the waist seam hidden under the belt. The gores are sewn into the skirt and not a separate underskirt. I only used the bodice pattern, and then I lengthed it to make a full gown.


The original pattern has sewn the front pieces to each other, but I have made the fronts so that I can wrap them properly over each other.

The fabric that I'm using is a polyester dupioni, with a lovely drape. I would not guess that it was a poly fabric at all. It's really hard to photograph though, it looks a lot more red/orange than in real life.

After having cut out all the pieces I had to pin the pieces together just to get a feel for the fit of the gown.


The general shape is quite nice, but on the big side. The next step will be to make a lining for the bodice that I can fit closer to the body, and then fit the fabric to the lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment