Tuesday 10 July 2018

HSM challenge 7 - loose sleeves

When I bought my teal wool, that I used for the 1490's undergown, I also bought 2 m of yellow wool In fact it was the two bolts of fabric on top of each other that made me fall in love with the colour combination. I decided to use the fabric to make a pair of loose sleeves for the teal undergown. Loose sleeves were common to bring some variation to dresses, and it was also possible to use a finer fabric if you couldn't afford to make the whole dress out of the best fabric.

The HSM challenge for July was, very fittingly "sleeves".
JulySleeves: There are some amazing examples of historical sleeves styles out there. Put the focus on the arms and shoulders in your creation for this challenge.
 I used my by now standard S-sleeve pattern, but added a bit more seam allowance than I had used for the sleeves for the teal undergown. After all the loose sleeves should go over the teal sleeves.



I sewed the back seam with the machine, and I also zigzagged the edges to stop the fraying, the fabric frays a lot. I did hem both ends of the sleeve by hand though.


The finished sleeve, right side out


And the wrong side out.

I cut them out the morning, sewed the sleeve seam on machine and spent the day at Tuna Ting finishing them by hand. They were pinned in place with just one pin on top of the sleeve.

The Challenge: 7 - sleeves

Material: 1 m of yellow wool fabric
Pattern: S-sleeve pattern from this tutorial
Year: Late 15th century
Notions: thread: poly sewing thread
How historically accurate is it? The style and pattern is correct, but the fabric is too thin, and I used the machine. 30%
Hours to complete: 2
First worn: Tuna Ting June 29- July 1
Total cost: From my stash


No comments:

Post a Comment