Thursday 19 July 2018

Melisandre gown, main part

The main part of the Melisandre has taken shape. As you will see on the photos the fabric is quite impossible to photograph. The photo below shows the fabric in both shadow and sunlight. Going from tomato red to a deep wine.


I did decide to line the full gown, firt I had only planned to maybe just line the bodice. I used a quite heavy cotton for the lining.

I made the full lining so that I could try out if I needed to do any modifications, but it turned out to be good straight off the pattern. I then sewed the main fabric together. I attached the outer fabric and lining to each othe by zigzagging the front edge, neck and arm scyes together.


The fabric was so beautiful when it pooled on the floor, but I have to be a bit practical and have it just reach my toes. When I cut the fabric off I made a huge mistake though, and managed to cut off too much. I simply had to reattach the fabric again, and press the seam like crazy to hide it.

The seam is visible, but only if you look really close, and I think most people will only think that it's the hem.

Along the front edge I added a deep facing. The facing is cut on the straight, unlike the gown itself where the front edge is on the bias. The straight facing will hopefully keep the front edge from getting distorted.

I also added a deep hem facing, rather than just hemming it. The hem facing will protect the outer fabric, and it will be possible to remove it and wash it if it gets too dirty.

The front edge facing is sewn in place. For me that's used to invisible seams it felt strange to have something that's so visible, but it's clearly there in the reference photos.

This is the finished gown, now I only need to add the sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment