Tuesday 24 July 2018

Melisandre - sleeves and closure

When it was time for the sleeves I decided not to line them. It's going to be really hot at NärCon, and the less fabric in the costumes the better. 

I did modify the shape of the sleeve compared to the pattern.

The trumpet part of the sleeve starts further down, just by the elbow, and I didn't have enough fabric so it's a bit shorter than the pattern. That's not a problem for me though since I'm short and have short arms.

I didn't want to have an ugly unfinished seam visible on the inside of the sleeve, so I felled the bottom seam on both sleeves. I didn't do that on the upper seam though, since that one is not visible. There I have just finished the edges with a zigzag stitch.


I will close the gown with two sets of strings. One invisible on the inside.


And a visible string on the outside.

I am thinking about changing the outer string to a ribbon made in the same fabric as the gown, but that will be for ComicCon. I will also carry a bunch of pins with me in case I notice that there is risk for a costume malfunction with the opening.

And with that Melisandre is finished and just waiting to be packed down for the trip to Linköping.

No comments:

Post a Comment